Them Winds Be Strong!
Today I went flying in the morning where I encountered some very strong winds (20+ knots with gusts up to 30). Though I’ve flown in the wind before, this was by far my windiest flight.
The original plan was to get out to Mulino and Aurora airports and get soloed again over at them, however the wind was gonna let that happen. At Troutdale, the winds were straight from the east allowing for a quick takeoff, however, at Mulino and Aurora, the winds were direct crosswinds. Though the plane probably could have landed, it was definitely outside of my comfort zone.
Instead of landing at either airport, I worked on my slip work to get the plane down and in landing position before applying full power and getting back up in the air.
One nice thing about the weather though, is that nobody was flying around which aloud for some good practice.
My landings at Troutdale were into some of the strongest win I’ve dealt with allowing for me to perform only one landing that I was proud of doing.
September 11, 2014 / Jason / 7
Categories: Private Pilot Completion
- Total Flight Time: 218.5 Hours
- Pilot In Command Time: 125.7 Hours
- Solo Time: 100.8 Hours
- >50NM Cross Country Time: 60.5 Hours
- >50NM Cross Country Time (Solo): 27.8 Hours
- Night Time: 7.1 Hours
- Simulated Instrument Time: 4.8 Hours
- Landings (Day/Night): 521 (499/22)
- Flight Training Received: 92.8 Hours
- Ground Training Received: 30.8 Hours